Human Compact Themes (for Ubuntu 8.10)

This is a new release of the compact theme, based on the original Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) theme. It was created by Jan Suhr almost a month ago, based on my little howto.

I have now two versions of the theme: one with normal icon sizes, and one with the smaller 16×16 icons for even more compactness. Here is a comparison animation of the standard Human theme vs. the compact theme:

You can download the themes here:

Download and Installation

1. Save the theme to your computer.
  2. Open the gnome’s appearence dialog with System > Preferences > Appearance.
  3. Drag and drop the downloaded file into the Theme tab of the appearance dialog. If you get an error message “Can’t move directory over directory”, you have already installed a theme with the same name. To be able to reinstall it, remove the directory ~/.themes/Human Compact or ~/.themes/Human Compact Small Icons.
  4. Choose “Apply new theme” in the popup dialog.

Most changes will occur immediately, but for e.g. the icon sizes it is best to log out and log in again. When you change the theme, you can get the Human Compact theme back by clicking on Customize, and then selecting Human Compact.

Any question, praise or flames? please post them!

Install for root (e.g. Synaptic)

Some readers asked how to get this to work for applications that run as root (e.g. synaptic), so here it is: simply copy the copy the theme file into the root’s home directory, like this (exchange username with your own name):

Afterwards synaptic uses the human compact theme.

Older Themes

Here is some information about the original compact themes I have created:

38 Comments on "Human Compact Themes (for Ubuntu 8.10)"

Notify of

trackback

[…] Human Compact Theme for Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) is […]

trackback

[…] Human Compact Theme for Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) is […]

trackback

[…] Human Compact Theme for Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) is […]

trackback

[…] pongo una web donde podéis descargar los temas Compact tanto de Clearlooks (el azulito) como Human de […]

trackback
7 years 10 months ago

[…] * Human compact theme […]

Ed
7 years 10 months ago

Works great – thanks! Much better on my notebook 🙂

Max
Max
7 years 10 months ago

Thanks… Finally found a solution to that way-too-big-stuff-theme problem.

Mark
Mark
7 years 10 months ago

Thanks a lot, this is extremely useful on my netbook. I really wish this will be part of Ubuntu 9.04.

fladd
7 years 9 months ago

Nice.
Is it also possible to get the panel size lower than 24 pixels (I am talking about the above one, the bottom one works)?

Andrea Ratto
7 years 9 months ago
Good work, but it needs some polishing. 1. The package contains backup files. 2. There are a couple of warnings (here from oowriter): (soffice:18702): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property `GtkOptionMenu::indicator-size’ of type `GtkRequisition’ from rc file value “0” of type `glong’ Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property `GtkOptionMenu::indicator-spacing’ of type `GtkBorder’ from rc file value “0” of type `glong’ 3. The firefox URL bar could be made look a little better. 4. The window border can be made a… Read more »
Tim Robertson
Tim Robertson
7 years 8 months ago

You can get rid of the button icons by adding gtk-button-images=0 to the top of the gtkrc-2.0 file. Just thought I’d let you know. Great theme, I’m using it now on my Dell mini 9.

me
me
7 years 7 months ago

better add the folder to /usr/share/themes

M. Junker
M. Junker
7 years 6 months ago

Big THX for your great work.
Nice and functionell for netbooks.

jsteph
jsteph
7 years 5 months ago

Hello I have problem to install it on jaunty? any solution?

Martin Ankerl
7 years 5 months ago

Hi, sorry I have not switched to jaunty yet so I have not tried it yet.

trackback

[…] Ubuntu Human Compact / Clearlooks Compact […]

Johannes Eva
7 years 5 months ago

Works perfectly under Ubuntu 9.04 “Jauty”
Martin, thanks a lot for this compact theme!

adrian
7 years 5 months ago

This is great! Any plans for compactifying the “New Wave” theme that will ship with Jaunty?

By the way, this theme works fine with Jaunty, except for a few instances of “highlight_ratio” and “lightborder_ratio” can be replaced by “highlight_shade” and “lightborder_shade”, and the option “style” on line 117 can be safely commented out to prevent some warnings.

Thanks!

Martin Ankerl
7 years 5 months ago

Thanks, adrian! I will make a new version when Jaunty is released.

Johannes
7 years 5 months ago

Hello Martin!
I linked your Compact Theme on my new Ubuntu Jaunty guide. I hope it is ok. I’ll update the link when the new version comes out!
All the best,
Johannes

Martin Ankerl
7 years 5 months ago

Hi Johannes, thanks for linking, of course thats ok!

Pepe
Pepe
7 years 5 months ago

Hi there!

Great theme, at all. It goes with me, since I bought my Medion Akoya Mini E1210, and installed 8.04.

Now, with 9.04 recently fresh installed, is again with me.

I encourage somebody to make more compact themes!

Netbooks forever! ;-P

Rgds and thanks for the great job!
Pepe

maathieu
maathieu
7 years 3 months ago

@Mark
It also works on ubuntu 9.04: tested here all right :-).

Chris
Chris
7 years 2 months ago

Hi Martin,
I just noticed some warnings when I’m opening gedit from commandline on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty. I installed the theme for root as described above. Here the warnings:

chris@netbook:~$ sudo gedit /etc/default/acpi-support
/root/.gtkrc-2.0:100: Murrine configuration option “highlight_ratio” will be deprecated in future releases. Please use “highlight_shade” instead.
/root/.gtkrc-2.0:101: Murrine configuration option “lightborder_ratio” will be deprecated in future releases. Please use “lightborder_shade” instead.
/root/.gtkrc-2.0:116: Murrine configuration option “style” is not supported and will be ignored.
/root/.gtkrc-2.0:156: Murrine configuration option “highlight_ratio” will be deprecated in future releases. Please use “highlight_shade” instead.
/root/.gtkrc-2.0:229: Murrine configuration option “highlight_ratio” will be deprecated in future releases. Please use “highlight_shade” instead.

Chris

z(u_U)egg
z(u_U)egg
7 years 2 months ago

Thank you very much for the great job! Finally my Eclipse looks good! (tested in 9.04)

Thanks again, Zuegg.

Elias
Elias
7 years 1 month ago

Hello!

Nice theme! And I’m waiting the new release, hope it will be released soon. 🙂

maathieu
maathieu
7 years 14 days ago

Looking forward for the update for Ubuntu 9.04 🙂

Sarah Kho
Sarah Kho
6 years 11 months ago

Your theme looks very good in my laptop but now I am moving to Ubuntu 9.10.
Can you please create a compact theme for Ubuntu 9.10?

Johannes
6 years 10 months ago

Looking forward to see a 9.10 update. Would be great 🙂

Smitlik
Smitlik
6 years 10 months ago

Lot of thanks, I was for 3 years looking for something like this!

What about promoting to include this theme choice to Ubuntu on http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com ?

trackback

[…] Martin Ankerl’s compact themes, improving classical GTK themes such as Clearlooks Compact and Human Compact. This is an area where users of all platforms can benefit! The compact theme reusing the original […]

Jesper
Jesper
6 years 6 months ago

Just wanted to drop by and say that I’ve been using this on some of my lower resolution pc’s for a while now and that I absolutely love it!

So yea, thanks a bunch for taking the time out and making these compact themes 🙂

trackback

[…] Download the Human Compact Theme here. […]

trackback

[…] After the installation I changed to more compact theme “HumanCompactSmallIcons”, so the dialogs fit better onto the small netbook display (1024×600). The theme works great and can be downloaded from Martin Ankerl site http://martin.ankerl.com/2008/11/04/human-compact-themes-for-ubuntu-810/ […]

filip007
6 years 4 months ago

Any tips or download for Ubuntu 9.10 Human default theme, Ubuntu 10.04 they don’t use Human theme any more.

filip007
6 years 4 months ago
Hendronicus
Hendronicus
6 years 4 months ago

I’m using this on Gutsy and it works just fine.

trackback

[…] 9 is a modification of the Ubuntu’s default theme that is optimized for small screens. With the recent rise of netbooks this becomes more and more […]

wpDiscuz